Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

Default Circuit Breaker keeps tripping after home remodel project

"No Pro" wrote in message
ups.com...
My contractor just completed our bedroom/bath remodel, which included
adding an additional light in the bathroom, plus an exhaust fan (didn't
have one before), four electric wall sconces, four recessed lights in
the vanity area, 3 recessed lights in the closet. This is in addition
to everything (outlets, etc.) that was already on the bedroom circuit.
Now, whenever my wife uses her hair dryer, the 15 amp breaker trips.
My question is - do I need to add an additional circuit, or can I just
replace the existing 15 amp circuit breaker with a 20 amp breaker? My
house is in Southern California, built in 1978, all wiring is copper...

If the wiring is 12 gauge, yes. But be sure to go thru each fixture
(they're likely wired in series) and outlet and make damn sure
each connection is tight. Wired to the screws on the switches/
outlets, etc. Do not use the 'push-in' connection on the fixtures,
they are lousy connection and can cause voltage drop, thus
higher current for the breaker. be sure to open the circuit
breaker before this 'rewiring' of outlets/etc. light fixtures
should have good solid wire nuts.

Also, try turning off some of the load- lights, fans, etc before using
the hair dryer. And don't use the top heat on the high dryer,
it can draw MANY amps. If a bathroom fan/heater is on the
circuit, it'll draw a ****load of current.

you may be able to use the 15 amp breaker after following
these steps. It might be wise to check exactly everywhere
this circuit goes, it may even power other outlets/lights.
If so seriously consider running another circuit to split the
load. .

remember 15 A X 120 volts = 1.8 KW per hour and 24 hours
equals 43.2 KWH per day X .15 X 30= $64.30 per month. ouch.

Overall, this sounds like too much load for a single circuit.
do the bedroom lights/tv dim when the above stuff kicks in?

Remember when lights dim, the voltage drops and the current
(amps) goes up! Any chance of banishing the hair dryer to
another room/circuit?

lee h

lee h