Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Can't Stop Humming

"Ron" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Ross;

I only meant that a new shielded cable would probably solve my hum
problem, though
it's part of a bigger problem in that this house has a noisey
electrical environment that
affects every kind of amplifier from the very sensitive ones used in
biofeedback equipment to the guitar's amp.

Ron

Hi Ron

Have you considered having the integrity of the power earth in your house
checked by a qualified electrician ? The reason I say this is that it can
sometimes be less than good in an old property with old wiring, and dodgy
earth connections can be responsible for unwanted signal hum problems. Years
ago, many guitar amplifiers had a switch on the back, which disconnected the
power earth from the amplifier ground, the intention being that if you went
to play in some old barn out in the countryside, and the amp hummed, you
tried this switch for a fix !! Needless to say, this was ultimately
considered to be dangerous ( ! ), and such switches were discontinued. I
still see the odd one for repair now though ...

If you have lots of problems like this with equipment in your house, it
might be worth getting the check done just for peace of mind that you and
your family are at least safe. I'd hate to think of the sparks flying out of
your ears when you graduate to Hendrix-style teeth-playing :-)

BTW, when you respond to posts, it makes it easier to follow, if your reply
goes on the bottom rather than the top. That way, if anyone wants to go back
and check something in the thread, all the responses are below the one that
they are responding to, in chronological order - well that's the theory,
anyway. Some groups get really mad at you if you top post.

Arfa