Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Few very basic Electrical questions

"SMF" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I bought a book plus spent a number of hours on the computer to
research and I hope someone can help me with just a few very basic
questions I still have:

1. I have a 100 amp service. If I turn off the main circuit breaker
can I change for instance a 20 amp breaker without worry of shock if I
don't touch anything else other than the breaker and the wire that
needs to be unscrewed? (I have a few that don't match my GE panel and
I heard that they should)

Most people don't even bother to do that, but yes; the box should be dead if
the main breaker is open. Never touch a potentially live wire without
testing it first!

My breakers don't match my box. But if it bothers you, change them.

2. I had an electrician once run an extra outlet but in looking a few
years later I see that he ran 14/2 cable after attaching this to 12/2
running off a 20 amp breaker. This line either powers a treadmill
(runs on a "115 vac dedicated 20 amp {15 amp] circuit") or a iron.
The receptacle is 15amp which I believe is fine with either, but
should I swap the cable to 12/2 for safety?

Yes, the cable has to match the breaker. If running a new cable is
difficult, changing the breaker might be better.

3. I also have similar to question two above (14/2, connected to
12/2) going to a GPF in a garage that the same guy did. Do they make
a 20 amp GPF and should I switch the cable and the receptacle in this
instance too?

I will guess that a GPF is a GFCI? It is fine to have 15a outlets on a 20a
circuit, as long as there are more than one outlet. Yes, they make 20a GFCI
outlets, but unless you expect to use a 20a plug, it is unnecessary.

4. Can you run a series of five 15 amp receptacles for a workbench in
an unfinished basement running on 12/2 on a 20 amp GPF breaker?

Sure.