Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

Default Anyone sharpen drill bits?

Years ago I worked summers as a machinist, and we sharpened our carbon
steel bits on a grinding wheel; its not difficult after you've done a
few. Eye protection is essential.

We always sent carbide bits out to a contractor for sharpening as they
require special equipment, I think a diamond wheel, but I'm not sure.

I can't tell from your posting if yours are carbide tipped. You can
tell by looking at them as the carbide cutters are welded onto the body.

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

I have a pile of dull drill bits, that don't bite anymore. At one time
there was an add on TV for some sharpening device. I'm always skeptical of
TV adds for gadget, but...

Is it practical to sharpen drill bits? Where would I look for that? It's
not something that comes up in a conversation very often.

Maybe I've bought cheap bits, but how you what's good v. just expensive.
They all have some line about carbide etc., but for me they never last.
These are for metal, under 1/2 dia.

Regards,

RichK