Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Default Swamp Cooler Problem (periodic shutoff)

wrote:
I live in Colorado, and am having problems with my evaporative cooler.
After running for about an hour or so, the fan always shuts off, even
though the water pump continues to run. This applies for all settings
(high cool, low cool, high vent, low vent). After resting for an hour
or more it will work as normal.

The fact that the water pump is still running seems to tell me that the
problem is not electrical. Any ideas? is this normal for swamp
coolers?

Any help is much appreciated!

Most coolers have an adjustable pulley on the motor shaft. A good
installer is supposed to set the pulley diameter adjustment so the motor
runs at it's rated current. It sounds like your motor is overloaded and
that is tripping the built-in thermal cutoff. Have somebody who knows
what they're doing go up there and adjust the pulley for the proper loading.