Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Default Anyone sharpen drill bits?

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

I have a pile of dull drill bits, that don't bite anymore. At one time
there was an add on TV for some sharpening device. I'm always skeptical of
TV adds for gadget, but...

Is it practical to sharpen drill bits? Where would I look for that? It's
not something that comes up in a conversation very often.

Maybe I've bought cheap bits, but how you what's good v. just expensive.
They all have some line about carbide etc., but for me they never last.
These are for metal, under 1/2 dia.

Regards,

RichK

Drill Doctor is OK for larger bits,1/4" & up. For the small, non-carbide
stuff, just toss 'em. IMO it's not worth the time to fiddle with
sharpening a 79 cent bit, and the Drill Dr. doesn't do very well with
the really small, expensive bits.