Posted to sci.electronics.repair
g. beat

Default Recognizing lead-free solder

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
How about starting with an Alloy Temperature Chart??
http://www.kester.com/en-us/technical/alloy.aspx

Actually, that gives the melting points, which weren't hard to find in the
first place. What I'm looking for is advice about how to set the
temperature-controlled iron.

OK. You mean the mind-less idiot knob on the current soldering stations?

Personally my range is 650 to 750 degree -- the KEY is to stay in the range
and then select the proper tip SIZE (1/64" to 1/4" in 1/32 or 1/64"
increments) and PROFILE (screwdriver, conical, single flat) -- as well as
solder. Works well for 63/37 Tin/Lead eutectic and 60/40 alloy.

For the Weller WTCP, I still use 700 degree F tips, PTA, PTB for
screwdriver, the other 3 tips that I occasionally use depending upon the
work (reach, SMD, etc) a PTH, PTL, PTS

I do know some people who jump to 800 degree for the no-leads -- depending
upon formulation being used.

For Lead free solder, call Alpha/Cookson Electronics (Jersey City, NJ) and
have them send you a sample of:

96.5% TIN; 3% SILVER and 0.5% COPPER in the
..020 diameter either with a 3.3% flux or WRAP2 flux

g. beat