Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default New Dust Collector Questions

"BobS" wrote in message

Leon,

The archives are loaded with answers to this and probably most of them are
about worrying if the dust will explode or otherwise cause a fire. All
tests that I've read about that were aimed at home type shops, are not
going to generate sufficient dust to be anywhere near the concentration
needed for it to ignite and explode. That said, moving air will cause a
lot of static buildup on the hoses.

Yeah I have heard and read most of them. I have been zapped by my 14' shop
vac hose.

To dissipate that static, at the end which connects to the DC, simply cut
back some of the hose plastic to expose a couple of inches of the spring
wire inside the hose. Bend it up to 90° so it forms a pigtail. Clean it
off (sandpaper, file) so that bare wire is showing. Now take a wire nut
and a length of 12 or 14 ga wire (green color insulation would be nice)
and wire nut it on to the pigtail you just bent up. Connect the other end
to ground.

That is what I was thinking.

The DC will be grounded thru the power plug and if you wanted to, you
could connect that pigtail on the hose directly to metal parts on the DC
but that usually requires drilling a small hole for a ground screw on the
shroud. Most connector mounts (if yours has the metal Y connector) also
have a gasket around the inside edge electrically isolating the Y
connector from the impeller in the shroud. Just make sure you ground the
hose wire and that will dissipate the static.

Mine has a plastic Y connected to a metal shroud that has a gasket. I'll
wrap the wire around one of the screws that holds the shroud and goes
through the gasket to the motor mounted back side if the shroud.

This has been discussed numerous times and there's people that swear that
they know shops have blown up because their systems were not properly
grounded and they know it for fact cause a friend of a friend told them so
but the never saw it.... I grounded mine to reduce static build-up so I
don't get surprised and zapped. I have a 16/32 Performax sander and that
can generate a lot of fine dust but again, not nearly enough to explode.

Thank you Bob.