Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Gas pipe fitting Q's

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:16:24 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:23:40 +0100, PM wrote:

A couple of questions regarding extending gas pipework:

1) It is illegal to run gas pipe in a cavity wall because of the
possibility
of gas build-up, does this mean it is preferable where I have the choice
run gas pipe along a wall rather than under floorboards?

2) How do I clear the existing pipe of gas before soldering the new pipe
on?
The pipe comes down from the meter, under the floor (presumably
horizontally
but I've got no way of telling) and then up in a cupboard which is where
will be making the join. So I would imagine most gas will escape once I
open
up the old pipe - but with things like this it is best to make sure!
Should
I open up the test nipple at the meter to aid dispersion? I don't have
any
gas analysis devices.
N.B. I am fully aware of the need to purge air from the new installation.

As always if you need to ask you probably shouldn't be doing it...

1) Through cavity is fine but there are extra rules. See BS 6891

2) No need to purge gas from the pipes. You will need to seal the meter
outlet if working within 2m of the meter. The gas can only burn if comes
into contact with air. Even when unsoldering fittings the most you even
get is a small flame which goes out in a few seconds.

I have seen a flash dow 6 metres of pipe and a boom as the guts of the meter
blew.

What was the pipe diameter?
Pure gas can't go 'boom' as it's concentration is way above the UEL.