Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbors Shed

On 15 Jun 2006 07:53:45 -0700, "z" wrote:

user wrote:

Call me odd, but I have little interest in benefiting from someone
else's stupididity, especially if it ends up ultimately raising my
tax bill. ;-)

You shouldn't encourage stupidity; it tends to spread too much anyway.
Like mint plants. It's not like your neighbor is stupid but
good-hearted; sounds like the neighborhood could clearly benefit from
him getting one of those kid tv show moral lessons. Besides, you don't
have to claim your extra acreage until it's time to sell the place.....
(I probably wouldn't do it either, of course, but I can be an armchair
general as well as anybody else. You fight him, I'll hold your coat.).

- Rich

I have a neighbour who had a fit last year when I cut down a big
Manitoba Maple that was growing into her garage and over a litigious
lawyers fence in the back yard. She doesn't believe in mowing, weeding
or otherwise destroying any growing thing.

We have a row of nine trees between our houses that were there before
either of us moved in. They are on my side of her driveway, but
neither of us knew exactly where the property line was. Anyway, she
said she had "made peace" with the tree being cut, but she threatened
to sue me and the tree company because I had some branches cut off the
nine trees that were growing over my roof and dripping sap on it. She
hasn't spoken to me since. I live in a small city and know everyone on
the block.

Last week my neighbour on the other side borrowed a metal detector and
we found the property line markers. All nine trees, and two pretty
choke cherries, are on my property. I probably won't tell her
unless she threatens to sue me again the next time I have the trees
trimmed and I'll trim all the sapplings and underbrush while she's
away, in the interest of keeping peace, but I'm quite relieved.

All the shrubs and trees are looking a lot better now that they don't
have a giant Manitoba Maple shading everything.

Chris