Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Size of coil, condenser and blower makes a difference?

wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

You just can't change the laws of physics.

Which laws?

The ones that involve heat transfer, compressing g
asses.

If it was true, every AC installer would be doing it.

Not necessarily. Money is also an issue.

So the major manufacturers of AC equipment intentionally match components
that will give less than optimum cooling?

Yes, I agree. It does seem illogical, especially when the
manufacturers are doing everything they can to get the energy
efficiency up. So, I find it hard to believe that you can get anything
worthwhile by going to a larger evaporator than is std for that unit.

Evaporator size and air flow are inter-related. Get a too small
evaporator for the airflow of the fan and ice will form. Get a too
large evaporator for the compressor, and excessive wear on the
compressor will result (I think this is the case as pressures in the
system will be lower than exepcted leading to a higher than normal
charge of refrigerant)