Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbors Shed

mm wrote:

But the odds are 3 to 1 or higher they won't like it if is done
without their permission. Your story below about your mowing the
neighbor's grass just confirms that.

LOL. That's exactly what I thought. His story is a good example of
the reaction you can expect when you fool around with other peoples
property without asking. Had he offered to mow the neighbors grass
before just doing it, the reaction may have been a lot different.

And I'll bet if someone started painting his property or driving a
riding mower around on it, he'd be the first one to be ****ed off.

The shed case is pretty simple. The OP doesn't own it and shouldn't
touch it without permission of the owner.

And a lot of the cases on the tv
court shows are about stuff like this. I have a friend who worked as
a clerk in a Staten Island court during one summer in law school.

He said he saw case(s) where two houses had one driveway, but two
garages, and one owner would put a fence down the middle of the
driveway because he was annoyed at something the other guy did. Of
course he wasn't allowed to do that, but he did it anyhow. (OK I'm
not sure this is relevant, but I like the story.)

If your neighbor somehow has a problem with that, they're not wrapped too tight.
So they might hold it against you? So what?

You think that is the only interaction there will be with the
neighbors in the next 10, 20, 30 years they both live there?
Someday, Corrinne will need the neighbor, or the neighbor will have a
way to retaliate.

The shed looks good again from
your point of view; it's unchanged from the neighbor's point of view. If it
damages your already nonexistent relationship with your neighbors, I'd suggest
you haven't lost much. But you have corrected the eyesore.

I already posted about a new neighbor I had a problem with over the length of
her grass. Three new row houses went in across the street. The grass didn't
get cut, the grass didn't get cut and the grass didn't get cut. Finally I
couldn't stand it anymore and cut the front yards when they got to waist high.
One of the neighbor's called the cops.

See what I mean? And grass is something that grows back.

Well, I never heard from the cops as
apparently they had more pressing matters.... but I never cut her grass again.
A few weeks ago, when it got to waist high again, I called the city. *They*
came out and cut her grass... and charged her $140 for the service. I was
happy.

Not at all the same thing, because I did this for my benefit, but I
used to use my neighibor's electircity to work on my car, because he's
next to the parking lot and my townhouse is about 60 feet farther
away. So I have to dig out the 100 foot extension cord. So my friend
moves out and someone else moves in, and it was the middle of a work
day so he wasn't home to ask. So I used his electricity to vacuum or
drill a hole. Well, another neighbor tells him (that doesn't surprise
me) but he was annoyed and told me not to do it again. I used less
than a penny of electricity, and even he must realize I used than a
nickle, but what annoyed him I think was that I didn't ask. Or that I
saw what he had on his "patio" by the electric outlet. I still think
for a grown man to complain about this is poor.

As for my relationship with the neighbor: what relationship? I've never spoken
to her. Don't have any need or desire to. But if that grass gets high like
that again, she can pay the city to cut it for her again. I keep *my* yard
looking good.