Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Neighbors Shed

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 00:28:30 -0700, Corinne
wrote:

This is my second option. I do have a big tree in front of some of it.

It is right on the property line, but the overhang is on my property.
I don't mind that as I have a small Yorkie and we can both stand
underneath it in the rain, and she stays dry.

I am not a troublemaker, and never had a problem with a neighbor.

My yard is immaculate, and it would be oh so much nicer if the shed were
painted.

I won't be doing anything without asking, and will wait another year .

Why wait another year? Why not talk to them this weekend? You can
skip the pie.

I cannot imagine them putting it off longer than this as the house is in
bad need of siding repair.

I can. Maybe they're short of money. Maybe her mother needs surgery.
Maybe one lost his job. Maybe they're getting a divorce and don't
want to spend more money on the house. Maybe they can't decide
between vinyl, aluminum, and paint? Maybe that's why they're getting
a divorce.

I think you're assuming their life is like yours and their status and
plans are similar to yours.

My own ex-girlfriend, who I thought was the acme of reliability needed
a new roof last fall, and still hasn't gotten one now. I asked her
why not, and it seems she has some procrastination thing in this case,
a part of her I've never seen before in 10 years.

BTW, doesn't this mean that even if the shed is painted, their in need
of repair house will still be in your field of view? Even though
your yard is immaculate, you may not be able to make your view
immaculate, and that's part of life. But that doens't mean you can't
ask them if you can paint their shed. They may say, Oh, we'll paint
it, and then paint it, or not. Or they might tell you that you can,
expecially if you can point to work you've done on your own house that
looks good.

Thanks.

Corinne
Norminn wrote:

Corinne wrote:

The problem is that the neighbors don't see it. They have a fence
built up to the side of the shed, and the shed makes up for the rest
of the fence.

They cannot even see the back of the shed unless they come
into my back yard. In fact, the overhang of the roof is on my
property line, but that does not bother me.

Seems to me they should be the one cleaning up their property, but
I know what you mean.

Corinne

Looks like a situation that could start WW3 ) I would not paint it,
but the whole issue could be real complicated. Is it on your property?
If so, probably gives you more right to paint it, but then they might
someday own that little piece of land. If it is on the line, and a
permanent building, it might violate setback or easement requirements.
It may not be practical, but I think it would be better to plant a hedge
that hides it or add fencing to cross what is missing and paint to match
existing fence.