Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole

Default where do you buy UHMW Polyethylelene

wrote:
For the past 10 years or so, I have been sorcing UHMW polyethylene from
manufacturers, packaging the pieces in assortments and selling them
through woodworking distributors like Lee Valley and Woodcraft.
I have noticed that the sales at Woodcraft don't seem to be on a
par with the sales in Canada (they're lower) and I wonder why that is.
I have some huge new supplies available of UHMW and I'm looking
to expand sales.
I have noticed that some of the other woodworking distributors
either don't sell UHMW and those that do don't seem to carry much of
it.
I have noticed that Ebay and Amazon.com have sellers of UHMW on
them.

My questions are - Those of you that buy UHMW, where do you get
it?
- If you could get offcuts of UHMW at a
good price on Ebay, would you buy it there?

Thanx.

Be careful with Machinist Materials in Florida, they sell a lot on eBay.
I purchased 2 lots thinking that I would benefit from a consolidation of
the order into one shipment based on a cursory review of their shipping
policies. I was charged and paid $20.20 for Fedex delivery. When the
parcel arrived, I measured and weighed it before opening and then
visited Fedex's site which quoted me $14.43 -- that's withough any
discount a regular shipper may enjoy. I was under the impression I
would only be charged actual cost of shipping. I brought this
discrepancy to the attention of the proprietor and nothing more came of it.

Also I had ordered UHMW virgin 1 5/16" x 5 7/8" x 28 3/4" natural, and
it arrived in a bowed condition: 1/4" at the center over the 28" span --
this bowing/warpage was not disclosed in the offering material.
Fortunately my application did not need the entire length, so the bowing
was not a defect rendering the piece unsuable for my intended
application. Basically, if I had seen the piece live I would have
concluded it was defective -- though, in this case, it did not matter
since I was going to cut it into smaller pieces.

I inquired about an adjustment for the shipping overage and basically
was ignored. I don't have a problem with people stating a minimum
shipping charge, here I had concluded they only charge what they, in
turn, are charged and that any savings as a result of consolidating
multiple orders would accrue to my benefit. This misunderstanding
coupled with the bowed UHMW causes me to post this. The other item I
bought was as advertised. I'd probably buy from them again, but nail
down details of shipping cost and condition.