Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc
Chris Bacon

Default bread making machine yeast

normanwisdom wrote:
I've now tried both yeasts, and the bread is the same but subtly
different - both much lighter and more like shop bread than the dense
brick I'm used to.

I've found on my breadmaker that using the "quick" setting results in
a denser loaf. I'm not sure I prefer it, though. I am currently doing
some experiments with varying amounts/types of fat in the mix. I am
told, on uk.f+d.m, that more fat will result in a chewier loaf (some
of the ones that I've made are rather "cakey" in texture, and fragile).

I think the difference is in the rate of reaction as you say. The
eezibake with vitC froths up faster making a lighter dough sooner,

Could be... have you tried fresh yeast, or mixing the yeast with the
water and sugar before bunging it in and getting it running?

which is easier to knead and so reduces strain on the apparatus.

erm... yes. I'm all for that.