Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert

Default Can't Stop Humming

On 14 Jun 2006 01:54:06 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

Ross Herbert wrote:
On 12 Jun 2006 10:53:24 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

(snip)

If you can duplicate the situation where there is no hum from the amp
when the guitar lead unplugged then you are halfway home. If the hum
occurs only when the guitar is plugged in then the problem is most
likely to do with the shield connection in the guitar cable.

Yes, I think you're right. Without the cable, there's no hum. But with
the cable it picks up 60 Hz like an antenna. Being new to the electric
guitar I guess I thought all cables were shielded to prevent hum, but I
see I'm wrong. ;-(

Ron

Yes, but the guitar cable should be shielded, and I am prepared to bet
that it is. However, the shield connection may be broken and that is
what is causing the hum pick-up..