Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Default What is this single tap and die for?

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

Hello all.

The recent thread on taps and dies prompted me to look again at my
(yet unused) all metric set (bought from Screwfix some time ago).
To my surprise, I found the following:
One single short length tap, and one die.
They are marked "NPT 1/8 27". Now, I haven't the slightest idea what
they are for.
I'm not entirely surprised, as this set also contains a screwdriver,
centre punch, thread gauge, and five stud extractors (of the l/h
spiral variety). I'm guessing that they are probably used for
"cleaning" damaged threads.
But on what fittings?

Answers will be gratefully received.

Sylvain.

NPT is a pipe thread used in USA - similar to our BSP.

1/8" NPT is roughly the same size as 1/8" BSP (just under 10mm in
diameter) but has 27 threads per inch compared with BSP's 28.

I have a feeling that things like engine oil pressure switches on cars had
used to use NTP threads. I doubt whether they still do - more likely to be
metric, these days.
--
Cheers,
Roger