Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM

Default Gas pipe fitting Q's

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

As always if you need to ask you probably shouldn't be doing it...

First time for everything! I've read up a lot (including your FAQs) but
there are some areas such as this where I'm not sure. My mind has been made
up to DIY mainly because of the incompetence and obvious dishonesty of the
"tradesmen" I have had round for gas work in the past, and for quoting for a
new boiler.

1) Through cavity is fine but there are extra rules. See BS 6891

Through cavity yes, along length of cavity no because of gas build-up. So is
it better to avoid under floorboards if possible or is it fine as Drivel
says? I have the choice of running the pipe in the corner of the ceiling
(unsightly) or under floorboards.

2) No need to purge gas from the pipes. You will need to seal the meter
outlet if working within 2m of the meter. The gas can only burn if comes
into contact with air. Even when unsoldering fittings the most you even
get is a small flame which goes out in a few seconds.

Thanks!