Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.food+drink.misc

Default bread making machine yeast

Chris Bacon wrote:
Rod wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote
Where is the amylase in easy-bake yeast? Mine says it's got yeast,
E491, Ascorbic Acid in it.

Depends on make/brand. I can't remember which do and which don't as we have
standardised on Sainsbury's own so don't bother looking at others now. But
indeed, some did contain it.

OK - went to look at packet:

You too!

Dried yeast (93%), Calcium sulphate, Flour treatment agents: Ascorbic acid,
Alpha amylase; Emulsifier: Sorbitan monostearate. Recipes for Onion Bread
and Chelsea Buns included.

No recipes on mine. I just want to make white or wholemeal, as close
as I can get it to "bakery bread".

Is your yeast Allinson's?

Yup. Same price as Allinson's "ordinary", too.

Amylase is just the enzyme that yeast uses to break down the starch to
sugars, adding just means that the rection starts quicker, i.e. 'easy
bake' just makes for a faster reaction start and gets the yeast working
faster.
Mike