Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

Default Matching drywall surfaces.

Happens every time for me too. The sizes seem to have changed. I
haven't come up with a great solution though, so I'd be interested to
hear what others have to suggest.

-Kevin

Jack wrote:
I rip off portions of drywall in a 30 year old house, big rectangular hole
that is, and replace it with the same type of drywall. Both existing and new
is 1/2" thick. The problem is the new drywall after installation is about
1/8" thicker. I have four of those 2' x 3' patches and in all cases the new
drywall is always about 1/8" thicker after installation. Is this normal or
am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I've purchased 1/2" and not 5/8"
drywall but I check it tomorrow. Not too much of a problem as I could make
it match. Just more mud and work..