Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Anyone sharpen drill bits?

wrote in message
ups.com...

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

I have a pile of dull drill bits, that don't bite anymore. At one time
there was an add on TV for some sharpening device. I'm always skeptical
of
TV adds for gadget, but...

Is it practical to sharpen drill bits? Where would I look for that?
It's
not something that comes up in a conversation very often.

Maybe I've bought cheap bits, but how you what's good v. just expensive.
They all have some line about carbide etc., but for me they never last.
These are for metal, under 1/2 dia.

Regards,

RichK

With the right grit stone on a grinder you can manually master the
trick of sharpening in a short time. Here is just a tip of how and
practice makes perfect. (1) Grind the cutting edge at the proper angle
for type of drill.. You'll get to where you can eyeball this. (2) Be
sure that the cutting edge is higher than fluke behind,, but only
micro in amount. in order that edge cuts. Keep cutting edges on even
plane as possible. Go to it practice makes perfection.
Automatics do work but hand held works just as good.

It has been said one thousand times before, but I shall say it one more
time -

"A two year old kid could do it with twenty years of practice."

Remember when you were learning to roller skate?

Now that you know how, how would you describe it to a newbie?

Steve