Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Zenith D60WLCD

My concern is as they sell more and more of these things, they will go
to TV shops for repair when they break doown. This is the future, at
least for awhile. Then DLPs might prevail.

The reason I avoid going to the manufacturer, even overseas is that two
days from now they might be gone.

When I get my thinking cap pointed again in the direction of this
problem, I want viable solutions that do not include the manufacturer.
It is the only way. If we're the only shop in the country that can fix
this ****, great, we'll lock the front door and make money.

Commonalities exist in ALL LCD projectors, and after dichroic mirrors
and polarizing filters are sourced, there is potential.

As long as the LCD panels are good, it is smoke (removal thereof) and
mirrors. I'm sure Apex is going to build LCD projos eventually, what
kind of luck do you think I'll have with them ? I have worked on an
Apex tri-CRT based RPTV and let me tell you, in unservicabiliy they
take the cake. They make a Samsung look easy. I actually fixed the set,
but later found some sort of initialization problem. We also had a
Tantus in that would every once in a while come on with an upside down
picture.

This **** is getting harder and harder, we need an edge. If we don't
get that edge, I will be running a business doing home improvement.
Remember "Other People's Money", no matter how large our market share
is of a dying market, it is dead. Problem is now, even liquidating a TV
shop is hard. You have a hard time getting out with any decent money to
start something else.

I can get polarizing filters, the question is, is the light still
polarized coming out of the lens ? If so, the screen might depolarize
it, or not. If you look at an LCD RPTV with polaroid glasses on, does
it disappear at certain angles ? I think if you diffuse light, like the
screen does, it will no longer be polarized. But then I can get in
between the lens and screen to determine the polarization, thing is I
don't know if it is possible. Not being at a focal point might screw it
up.

I have studied up on the operation of LCDs. There are just some things
I do not know.

Yet.

JURB

PS, thanks for the replies, but really, they are not going to sell me
that piece of plastic, the set is a couple years old and I really think
that they simply won't be stocking that part. Why would they ?

JURB