Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Small box hardware and Holly inlay material

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:52:36 GMT, "Don Sforza"
wrote:

Dilemma #2: I decided to outline the drawer with a very small inlay (more of
a banding) with Holly. I'm coming up short here too (no jokes, I am
vertically challenged). What I need is a strip of Holly, 1/16" thick and
about 1/4" wide. I would love to go out and buy that Performax I've always
wanted, but SWMBO would find no humor in an $800+ purchase for about $20
worth of materials.

A spindle sander with a fence gives you a sideways 4/8" drum sander
that also sands curves. It's a little bit finnicky using it as a
thickness sander, you've got to keep your feed rate constant to keep
the drum from digging in. I had gotten the Wilton version of
Grizzly's G0538 for a little over $100 a while back, though Amazon has
raised the price since then. Very happy with it, we'll see how long
it holds up to the abuse I've been handing it.

1/4" material is not a problem on a table saw, especially with a zero
clearance insert. To get a 1/16th slice off it I'd have the board
between the blade and fence, overhanging the blade by 1/16th.

Or if you'd be willing to subsitute basswood for the holly you'd have
no trouble finding that in scale lumber.

-Leuf