Posted to alt.home.repair
News Groups

Default Smoking Riding Mower- follow up

Today I ran it for about 15 minutes then it started sputtering then
backfired a few times then stopped. I cleaned the spark plug and it started
right up, but did the same thing again. Its been running the past half hour,
its making a sputtering sound, like when a car sits too running to long and
water gets in the muffler. It would sputter for a few moments then blow a
big cloud of smoke then run fine and start all over again. Still getting oil
in the air filter compartment though. I had to take the deck off, it looked
like a fog machine when I turned the blades on but Im driving it around the
yard on high speed to put some strain on the engine. Some times its starts
to die and I have to stop for a few moments. Any ather suggestions
Thanks
John
"News Groups" wrote in message
. com...
I was given an old Craftsman riding mover. It needed new blades and not
knowing how to take the deck off I jacked up the front end as high as I
could. It sat overnight. The next morning I started it up and it started to
smoke a little(white smoke from the muffler) as soon as I put it in drive
it started smoking like it was on fire. I checked the plug, it was
completely fouled up, I checked the air filter compartment and there was a
fair amount of oil at the bottom. I changed both of them and started it
again, still smoked heavily. Turned it off and had to clean the plug to get
it to start again. I let it idle for over an hour, then put it on full
throtle - still smoked. Did I screw up the engine? I was thinking of
trying a engine addative and see if that thickens up the oil incase I
busted a seal. I could really use some help here. Its really not worth
taking to a mechanic for any type of major engine work.
Thanks
John