Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Hot room in house

wrote:
I have one room in my house, a southeast facing room, that gets damn
hot...the rest of the house can be 72 degrees and this room will still
be in the 80s with a ceiling fan going full blast (i live in Houston,
Texas)...the room is also over the garage....it has one window that
faces south and is double paned and one door that is double paned that
faces east to an outside porch...i am thinking about having extra
insulation injected into the walls

my questions to this great group are

1) do you think the extra insulation in the walls will help
2) what is the deal with reflective insulation and should i consider
adding that to the mix
3) are there any suggestions in general to get this room more in line
with the rest of the house and keep it cool...it is my office and i
have to move into the kitchen in the summer!

thanks

My bet is on many factors all making contributions.

You should not be able to insulate the walls more than they are without
some new construction to allow more room for insulation. Reflective
insulation will not likely help a lot in your situation.

I suspect the real problem is two part. First you are gaining more
heat into that room than others because of the garage. Heat is coming in
from the walls and ceiling like other rooms, but you are also getting it
from the floor. Part two is the heating/cooling system was not properly
designed to handle the load on that room. The real answer is to have a good
HVAC tech out to do the numbers and make recommendations that are likely to
include modifications to the air handling systems and/or additional cooling
capacity.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit