Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

Default help me help my mower!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks in advance for any replies. I have a Bolens mower with a Briggs
and Stratton 4.5 hp engine. And, you guessed it, it won't start. I have

a giant cottonwood tree in my backyard, which, at this time of year,
sheds all its cotton, leading the the clogging of my mower. After
taking the time to clean it out, it will not start at all. The air
filter is clean, the spark plug is new and is getting gas (after
priming, it is wet and smells like gas)......And the mower has a tank
of clean, fresh gasoline. Any suggestions? If I'm going to use starting

fluid, do I spray it straight into the carb or into the cylinder?
Thanks....

jh

Into the carb intake...might be able to spray it on the external surface of
the filter and get it to work. When you cleaned the underneath of the
mower, did you tilt the mower deck up so the carburetor was on the bottom or
top. If on the bottom, crankcase oil can run down into the intake manifold
and carburetor and cause some problems in starting.

Tom G