Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

Default Shower diverters - outlet configurations ?

Kevin wrote:

I'm still not quite getting the diverters though. The only thing that
seems to make sense is if the inputs contribute to the number of ways,
so a 3-way diverter has one input and two outputs and the 5-way has two
inputs and three outputs. Though I don't really understand why you
would need two inputs unless you were using it as a mixer too. Also it
doesn't really explain why Chris would have to change from a 3 to a
5-way in the middle of the job.

Certainly both 3 & 5 way valves that I saw had two possible
inputs. I suppose it would be possible to connect separate hot
and cold supplies, but not really a very good idea. However,
this gives the 3-way valve 4 ports.

I had told my contractor that I wanted what I described as a
3-way diverter. They knew I wanted it to supply overhead shower,
bath filler and bath side pencil shower. Only when the box was
opened to see how to connect it (after I had drawn a line diagram
of the concept) did the problem become clear. My unfamiliarity
with the arcane terminology (which the web site did not in any
way explain as done by your supplier) was matched by the fitters'
unfamiliarity with the use of diverters and omission of bath
taps.

Fortunately Bristan are not too far from me, and it was swapped
in the nick of time.

The system is fed from a fully pumped supply, and the fitters
were pretty surprised when everything worked (I was more than a
bit relieved too) and wanted photos so they could tell others
what a good idea it all was.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean by check valves, am I correct in
thinking these might be what I know as non-return valves ?

Yes, I was really only thinking theoretically, I don't know how
much pressure you lose, if there are maintenance problems, and
how practical it is to get it all in place.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.