Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Fire Cement

Chris Learmouth wrote:
I have installed a wood/coal burning cast iron insert and mantlepiece
and have filled the space behind the insert with hardcore. I have been
told, in the interest of safety, to skim the top of the hardcore with
fireproof cement. All I can find is 2kg tubs of fire cement from
Wickes which I have used to do some repointing inside the fireplace.
Although relatively inexpensive, I would need quite a few tubs to put
a screed over the hardcore. Is there a fireproof cement that can be
bought in larger quantities or is there something I can add to normal
cement? If not can I render with a sharp sand/cement mix then skim
over with the Wickes fire cement? I have visited most of the builders
merchants and fireplace suppliers in Bedford but have been greeted
with blank expressions.

You only need it around the inside edge of the fireplace,hence why they
only sell it in small 2Kg tubs
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite