Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default Electric hedge trimmer advice

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:28:44 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:44:12 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Hi all,

I need to purchase a hedge trimmer. I have the manual kind ("giant
shears") but am discovering that I have too many bushes/too little
time to keep up with this kind. Having decided to get an electric
hedge trimmer, I went online to read up and, of course, discovered
that there are a zillion makes and models and a wide price range.

What do you think is important to look for in an electric hedge
trimmer? Do you have a model you would recommend? I have a mix of
shrubs, including boxwood, yews, euonymous, spreading juniper, etc.
All are short, "edge of the walkway" shrubs, i.e., I'm not
maintaining a tall privacy hedge or anything (won't be using the
trimmer on a ladder or overhead).

All advice appreciated -- thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

I recommend considering a battery operated model. I have a
Black&Decker 18V battery operated one (part of a set that included a
string trimmer and leaf blower. I love it.

Batteries tend to go bad when not used enough.

Today's batteries are a little different. They no longer need to be run
down from time to time. The memory effect is a thing of the past. They do
need to be kept charged. The set I got had a three station charger for
mounting on the wall keeping all three batteries charged. They are all over
three years old and I have not noticed any decrease in capacity.

How often are you using them? That would make a difference.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com