Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing cherry

Ken Nuzum wrote:
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any knowledge
of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested a "spit
coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

Boiled Linseed oil followed by coats of appropiate finish is what I
always use. I'd guess the lighter color on the moldings are because
they are freshly cut where as the ply has been exposed. So in the long
run the moldings will deepen in color