Posted to rec.woodworking
C & E

Default Finishing cherry

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
om...
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any
knowledge of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested
a "spit coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

I'm guessing that a spit coat is another name for a wash coat or a sealing
coat?? Never hear that one. Ayway, uniformity is over-rated. Nature isn't
uniform so why do we expect our furniture to be comletely the same. Yes, a
big differential between sapwood and heartwood isn't very attractive in
large doses but sometimes I find those little light flashes to be
interesting. Kind of like knots and the surrounding swirl. Just my
opinion.