Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tech Data

Default Toshiba 42H81 convergence problem

Tech Data wrote:
wrote:
Customer says he was going to change from vcr to tv after watching a
movie but hit the power button instead of the change antenna input
source. He pushed the power button again and the tv looked like this
http://users.eastlink.ca/~rayj/images/toshiba.jpg
(this is a crosshatch pattern I put on the tv)

No fuses blown.
I checked the +32V -32V +16V -16V all good
checked the low ohm resistors behind the stk's and all were good
I changed the two stk-392-110 with stk392-110 with no improvement.
So i figure I might have got some bad stk392-110 and put in two
stk392-120 with no improvement.

Any ideas are appreciated
thanks
Ray J

There's no soft way to say it but, the DCU is screwed. The same exact
thing happened to me a couple of months ago on the 50" flavor of that
series. I had just done the entire convergence alignment and did a
minor tweak in the service menu. The manual states when done, to exit
service mode power off then back on. Did that and, mine looked worse
than yours and there was nothing I could do but order the whole DCU for
104.00 from Andrews. If you don't have the manual, I can fire it off to
you or at the least, the part number for it. Cheaper, I know to order
the eeprom for that circuit but, if you're not Toshiba ASC all you'll
get is a blank one. You'll still have to be ASC to have them program
it. Also, make sure you order the circuit for that exact model. Mine
just took a minor touchup and it was done. Lemme know if you need
anything on that set.

Santy
www.techdata-kicksass.net

Sorry, fogot the blue tube issue. I think you have two problems you're
fighting and, a bad blue tube wouldn't be out of line to suggest. You
could swap the screen/focus leads on the block with another tube to see
but, if it adjusts like you say, my money's on the tube. Make sure you
throw that possiblity out to the customer before investing big money on
parts. Good luck.

Santy
www.techdata-kicksass.net