Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
aka-SBM

Default Estimator didn't do a load calculation, just looked at size of existing unit

"RAJ" wrote in message
ups.com...
I guess the best way is to just get the estimat first, then say you'll
sign it only if they do the load calculation. The estimate will
probably be overpriced anyway, so might as well get something extra out
of it.

If you are getting ESTIMATES, you are getting screwed anyway.
Dont allow anyone that cant QUOTE you to the penny the job. Estimate is a
nice way of saying, its gonna be in this ballpark, and **** that.

Chris Hill wrote:
On 12 Jun 2006 15:02:54 -0700, "RAJ" wrote:

He just asked me if the existing system cooled properly. Is this
acceptable?
How would a different sized system effect the existing ductwork though?

If you bought a higher efficiency system, you may need larger ducts
because I believe they need to push more air. That's what I've read
anyway. Don't feel bad, last time I had mine replaced I called three
people and none did a load calc. Next time I think I'll offer to pay
for the estimate if they'll do one and show their work.