Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Who is responsible for tree trim and removal?

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 01:15:53 -0400, "miamicuse"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
One thing that comes to mind: If you explain the problem to the
insurance company, it's an admission that you know about the problem,
and if you don't get this solved before it does fall down, they may
blame you and not want to pay.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't counsel people to avoid admitting the truth,
but you have been diligent here and are trying to do the right thing.
Yet, if you get sick or distracted, or have to work overtime, or get
temporarily sent to another city, etc. there are a lot of things that
could cause you not to make it through the next stage in a timely
manner.

Of course, you've already admitted that you know about this to a bunch
of people, but I don't think it is the same as telling the insurance
company directly. GEICO seems to have records of every time I asked
them a question and what I asked (damn computers).

I would also suggest you ask your neighbors, especially those with
nicely trimmed trees in front, how things work.

Is the city saying that because so many trees were damaged they can't
keep up with the trimming they normally do themselves? If so, I think
they should waive the 100 dollar charge. If so, when do they expect to
catch up?

No, this is not that they cannot keep up with maintaining their grass and
trees. I was told as a home owner I am responsible to maintain the area
between my property line and the edge of street pavement. That means I need
to mow the grass there and trim back trees there. It does not sound logical
but that's what the county told me.

Then requiring a 100 dollars per tree to trim what they have told you
to trim sounds ridiculous. I guess if your house is a rattrap or
downs't meet code they require you to repair it, and than might
require you to get a building permit, for which they charge, but in
that case I thought the charge was only the cost of processing the
permit. And it was the same no matter how big the project was, right?
But here they are charging per tree.

We lived in the suburbs and the county owned more land than they had
used for the road. Maybe 15 feet was theirs. I don't know if we were
required to mow the lawn, but I know they weren't going to do it.

MC