Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default Doors won't latch

If the misalignment is slight, it should be fixed with a bit of
hinge shimming or hinge barrel bending. I suspect that your first
attempts may not have been done correctly.

Another standard method would be to file the strike plate. I
would not under any circumstances relocate the strike plate. I
cannot envision any professional solution by attempting it with
the exception of replacing the strike with a larger one.

______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 5 year old home that has settled a bit and three doors
are now
not catching on the latch. I realize that I can take the catch
plate
off and chisel out some of the wood and lower the plate but am
worried
about what to fill in the old holes with and if that will be
strong
enough.

Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated. I have
tried to
shim the doors up at the hinge plates but it did not work
(someone had
suggested that).

Thanks in advance for all of your help
Richard