Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Liebermann

Default Home Made UHF 50 Ohm Dummy Load

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:54:24 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Use about 100 feet of rg58 or 50 feet of rg174 coax. It has enough loss
without anything o the end to look like a good dummy load at 400 mhz and
above.

Good idea. The problem is that RG174 doesn't really have much power
handling capeability. There's chart at:
http://www.therfc.com/powerrat.htm
which claims 60 watts. I think that's rated at 40C (104F) which is
rather warm. The heat dissipation is NOT uniform. The bulk of the
smoke will be coming from the radio end of the coax cable, while the
other end remains fairly cool.

I have seen (bought some ) dummy loads at hamfests for about $ 15 that are
good for 500 mhz .

Well, I was trying to encourage the OP to build something instead of
buying. However, if you must spend money, MFJ as a 25 watt
(continuous duty) load for $40.
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-260C

# 831-336-2558
#