Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Home Made UHF 50 Ohm Dummy Load

"Brad" wrote in message
Hi,

I wish to make a 25 watt (short duty) 50 ohm dummy load for UHF 440Mhz
band. I have a UHF SWR meter and I have made dummy loads before, but they

are
of little use at UHF frequencies due to internal capacitances in the
resistors. The only good dummy load I made that works very well at UHF

is a
2 W 50 ohm straight carbon resistor solder on the inside of a PL259

connector.
I can use this as a 10W (short duty) dummy load as long as I make a brief
transmission.

Use about 100 feet of rg58 or 50 feet of rg174 coax. It has enough loss
without anything o the end to look like a good dummy load at 400 mhz and
above.

I have seen (bought some ) dummy loads at hamfests for about $ 15 that are
good for 500 mhz .