Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Finishing cherry

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
om...
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any
knowledge of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested
a "spit coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

It is a crap shoot. Cherry darkens. The plywood might be naturally darker,
or it might have darkened a bit already.
I would just leave it alone and take it as it comes.

But you could try seriously sanding a piece of scrap. If it doesn't get
lighter, then it is dark wood and you might want to try a light stain on the
lighter wood.