Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence

Default small engine - hydraulic lock?

Glad to help.
"George" wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:19:33 GMT, "John Lawrence"
wrote:

Any amount of oil above the required fuel/oil mixture will cause a
dramatic
increase in compression ratio. This is true whether too much oil was added
to the mixture or "squirt" in. You'll end up breaking a pull cord. You
have
to spend more time pulling the motor with the plug out. If it was mine,
I'd
put a small amount of mixed gas in the plug hole and pull it over for a
while with the plug out. Then wait until it's dry and try starting. Good
luck.

That took care of it. Thank you.

George

"George" wrote in message
. ..
Stihl string trimmer, 2-cycle. It's been fading, and hard to start when
hot. I thought I'd check the compression when hot. (It was 50-ish).
Then, I thought I'd squirt some oil in the cylinder, and see what effect
it would have on compression. (Not much.) ...

But, now it's really hard to turn over, when the plug is in. Oops.
Just two little squirts of oil. It spins easily with the plug out.
Hydraulic lock?

I dried out the crankcase, and put it upside down to drain the cylinder.
Everything seems dry, but cranking is still hard. Any thoughts or
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George