Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

Default AC grounding questions

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:12:16 -0700, "John" wrote:

The purpose of having grounding pin on AC outlet is to ground metalic
surfaces of appliances so that there can be no voltage to hurt anyone even
if there is a leak. Right?

If an AC outlet has the ground and neutral reversed, would it cause any
problem?
If an AC outlet has no grounding wire (old house) and instead the ground
prong is connected to the neutral, would that cause any problem?

Is neutral connected to ground at the circult breaker panel?

I've seen in the codes something about window units having voltage
leakage detectors on them. So many people have screwed with the
ground wire in the past, they killed themselves adjusting the AC unit.
Touch a unit, with an open neutral and a radiator, and get fried kind
of stories I've heard.

So, I would get it fixed, reguardless if it works.

imho,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com