Posted to alt.home.repair
dblho39

Default Smoking Riding Mower

News Groups wrote:
I was given an old Craftsman riding mover. It needed new blades and not
knowing how to take the deck off I jacked up the front end as high as I
could. It sat overnight. The next morning I started it up and it started to
smoke a little(white smoke from the muffler) as soon as I put it in drive it
started smoking like it was on fire. I checked the plug, it was completely
fouled up, I checked the air filter compartment and there was a fair amount
of oil at the bottom. I changed both of them and started it again, still
smoked heavily. Turned it off and had to clean the plug to get it to start
again. I let it idle for over an hour, then put it on full throtle - still
smoked. Did I screw up the engine? I was thinking of trying a engine
addative and see if that thickens up the oil incase I busted a seal. I
could really use some help here. Its really not worth taking to a mechanic
for any type of major engine work.
Thanks
John

Will it actually drive? If not, it could be that the drive belt has
popped off the pulley on the transmission. That's happened to my
craftsman tractor, and the result was clouds of smoke.