Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
RAJ

Default R22 or 410? New lineset?

Yes, but I think most companies are still offering both types of
compressors. I haven't gotten a comparitive estimate yet for a 410
system. The guy yesterday just wrote up an estimate for an R22 system
using the existing linesets. I didn't even know it was R22 until I
took a closer look at the model number and the brochure. I just
assumed all new systems were R410. Maybe he's trying to push an R22
system on me so as to get rid of them while he still can. For the next
estimate, I will be sure to ask about an R410 system. I'm hoping it
won't be much more expensive.

Robert Gammon wrote:
Is it not the case that newly made compressors are DESIGNED to work the
R410a refrigerant formula, and that using the R22 formula MAY cause
damage to the compressor?

Scott Townsend wrote:
The Installers I've worked with on my last two projects were pretty much in
the Majority of going with the new R410a. There were a few Old Timers that
tried to convince me that R410a is crap and they don't install it, though I
think it was that they were not a certified R410a installer and didn't want
to get up to speed. The Bigger companies and the newer companies only
installed R410a. If you really wanted the R22 they would.

If you have to tear into walls and its going to cost you a bit to get it in
the wall, etc, then you might want to stick with R22, if you have easy
access to the lineset its not going to be that much to run a new one for the
R410a

Scott-

"RAJ" wrote in message
ps.com...

Do you think it would be wise to switch over to 410?

HeatMan wrote:

"RAJ" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm going to upgrade my AC, probably to a 13 or 14 SEER. Is is best to
just stick with the R22 in this case? When will R22 become more
expensive than R410? From what I understand the units are similar in
price, so that shouldn't be an issue.

R22 refrigerant will be manufactured until 2020. They amount made will
drop
annually, but it will still be made. The equipment using R22 will no
longer
be made after 2010.

If I do stick with R22, is there any need to replace the lineset? It's
15 years old? The compressor hasn't failed though, so no contamination
in that regard.

If the lines are sized properly, they shouldn't need replacement if you
go
back with R22. If you go with R410a, you should have them replaced.