Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J T

Default Rounding Question

Mon, Jun 12, 2006, 9:43pm (EDT-1) (Prometheus)
doth sayeth:
JOAT, you're a man among men if you pull it off. I'll keep my fingers
crossed for ya, as I don't think you'll be discouraged from doing it no
matter what anyone says. Myself, I think I'd get the wood round first,
then use the plane, but I'm overly fond of my appendages.
Good luck- and make sure someone else is around when you try it out.

You mean I shoulda had someone with me when I tried it? LMAO

Nah, I knew it would work, just didn't know how well. It worked
alright, just took off a lot more wood, a whole lot faster than I'd
figured on. Just the thing if you want to make something small out of a
large chunk of wood tho. LOL

With those two blades spinning at about a zillion revs a minute, I
figure there's no chance of a snag. I know for a fact a lathe tool will
jump at times, especially when it hits a knot.

I'm thinking it could be a usable tool, with an adjustable jig.
Something along the line of a frame, attached to the front of the lathe
stand, that you could adjust to the amount you wanted to take off. Fix
it in place, then just make light touches, until you got down to the
frame, then run the planer sideways along the frame. Then flip the
frame back, and proceed with regular lathe tools. At first I'd thought
about a frame that would adjust by small increments to take small cuts,
then readjust for another cut. But, that would be too fussy, and not
needed.

The piece that I did, even with pulling the planer back and lookit
at the cuts it was taken, didn't take more than about 30 seconds to take
it down to about 1". Fast. I would definitely make a jig, especially
if I were ronding anything not very large. Hmmm, I've got some car
parts, I've always wanted to make a big lathe, and I've got some pretty
big trees I'd like gotten rid of. Hmmm. Heh heh.

JOAT
Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal