Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Finishing cherry

"Ken Nuzum" wrote in message
om...
I have just about finished assembling a cherry cabinet consisting of cherry
veneered plywood sides and top with cherry hardwood moldings. I am noticing
that the cherry veneer is a rose-reddish color while most of the molding
pieces are a lighter red color.
While I am new to woodworking in general, I am newer still to any
knowledge of proper finishing. I attended a Woodcraft class that suggested
a "spit coat" followed by a dye or gel stain. I haven't done anything yet.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I might do to vetter
equalize the color.
Thanks,
Ken

Staining, gel or otherwise will usually solicit the wrath of many in this
group.

Cherry will darken when exposed to sunlight. After using the finish of your
choice, based on its intended use, lacquer, shellac, polyurethane or oil
finish, expose it to the sun and it will turn darker and most likely more
uniform in color.

For me, when I make something from cherry, I finish it and start to use it.
The color will come. However, be careful when leaving stuff in one spot for
long periods of time as the color will not darken as fast under something.

Dave