Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Carlyle-Clarke

Default Cat 5e telephone cable?

wrote in
oups.com:

John,

Something I've done which might be interesting for you too, is to
have the adsl cable only connected to BT using the device
described below in place of your current modem/router

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...2/zoom-x5v.asp

The master DECT station plugs into the back of the Zoom device and
you have no telephone cable at all, but you do have VOIP on every
handset in your home and garden.

The handsets switch into VOIP mode at the press of a key and
should the router power fail or be switched off, then the
telephone reverts to standard BT connection mode.

It comes ready configured for a VOIP service called Global
Village, which is SIP compliant and able to talk to other SIP
compliant services at no charge, though you can reconfigure for
another supplier. I use Sipgate.

What it won't do is get you connected to non SIP compliant
services such as Skype.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff -

I work from home, and use Skype for all business calls - Skype to Skype
where possible, or Skype Out where not, to make it easier to itemise.
I also use Skype In to keep business calls separate completely.

I use one of these at the moment:

http://www.yealink.com/SkypeMate/prodetail_b2k.htm

The DECT base station is connected to this device. Works pretty well,
and the same deal.. press "*" to switch to Skype.

Nice thinking though - thanks for the suggestion.