Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat 5e telephone cable?

John,

Something I've done which might be interesting for you too, is to have
the adsl cable only connected to BT using the device described below in
place of your current modem/router

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...2/zoom-x5v.asp

The master DECT station plugs into the back of the Zoom device and you
have no telephone cable at all, but you do have VOIP on every handset
in your home and garden.

The handsets switch into VOIP mode at the press of a key and should the
router power fail or be switched off, then the telephone reverts to
standard BT connection mode.

It comes ready configured for a VOIP service called Global Village,
which is SIP compliant and able to talk to other SIP compliant services
at no charge, though you can reconfigure for another supplier. I use
Sipgate.

What it won't do is get you connected to non SIP compliant services
such as Skype.

Jeff

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
"Dave H." wrote in
:

"John Carlyle-Clarke" wrote ...

I need to remake my internal phone wiring [...] My question is
this: is there any reason I shouldn't use
Cat5e cable for this?

No problems apart from it being slightly thicker over all than
'phone wire, and a bit lumpier in appearance - if it's going to be
out of sight, no problem. I think the purple LSF variant's quite
pretty, too... for fixed wiring, make sure it's solid core, IDCs
don't take stranded reliably.

Thanks Dave. I do have some phone wire I bought some time ago, but
it's very, very thin. I've heard mention of "ADSL compatible phone
wire". Do you know if it really makes a difference?

I can't imagine that it would be that significant compared to the 4
miles of copper between my house and the exchange, but I could be
wrong.

The existing wiring is surface, and I think my new stuff will be too,
and I had considered that Cat5 is a bit more visible.