Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

Default Who is responsible for tree trim and removal?

"rb608" wrote in message
"miamicuse" wrote in message
All three trees are on the side of the County's street and outside of my
property line. I was told I am responsible to maintain these trees even
though they are not mine technically.

A couple of points. First, the responsibility *may* be yours. Is it
really on the County property, or only in the right-of-way (which means
it's really your property that the county gets to use for public
thorofare)? In the case of public sidewalks, for example, many
municipalities require the homeowner to maintain the public sidewalk in
front of their residence. Your trees may be falling into that same
situation.

Secondly, if the trees are a safety hazard, depending on whose
responsibility they actually are, that can be good or bad for you. If
they fall and cause damage or injury, now we're talking negligence because
you (or they) are aware of the problem and failed to rectify it. If you
determine that it's the county's problem, you might want to stress that
point in your conversations with them. If they're your trees after all,
I'd do one of two things. Either bite the bullet & take them down or two,
wait for a good hurricane to knock them down. If the latter, the
insurance company will pay for the removal.

JF

My insurance company (State Farm) will pay for repair to damage done by the
falling tree but the cost of removal is mine, they say. This from when a
tree fell on my garage. They did pay to get the tree off the garage but
then it was mine to deal with.