Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default TV shows stripes/lines at the top of the screen

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

snip

Now you may think that is ok, but I think that if those of us who are
properly qualified, and whose collective wisdom exceeds yours by many
times, were to recommend that he continued to poke around inside an item
of equipment that REALLY COULD KILL OR SERIOUSLY INJURE him, this would be
irresponsible, rather than helpful.

Now now, Arfa! 'Electromotive Guru' is obviously someone the group should
look up to. After all, he advises someone who knows so little about basic
physics that he doesn't know what a focus adjustment does, to, and I quote:

"Look inwside the back cover for test-points and check that main B+ voltage
is within 5% of spec" (because) "this may be a symptom of the main voiltage
bias being out of range"

Obviously good advice ;-) He also thinks it's good advice for a non-savvy
consumer to take the back off his set and poke around inside so he can
'learn', without having even the most basic knowledge of electronics.

By his reasoning- my 13 year old daughter knows what focus means, and it's
not just a car made by Ford, so she must be even more qualified than the OP
to poke around inside a TV! Next time the TV breaks I might give her a
service manual and a soldering iron and let her fix it for me. It's a nice
RPTV so plenty of room for her to crawl inside and measure the 'main bias
voltage'. I wouldn't want to deprive her of a learning experience after all!

Dave