Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking
bremen68

Default A woodwork newbie. Issues setting up workshop in non-airconditioned South Florida garage?

Dhakala wrote:
wrote:

Like was said earlier, if you use it it won't rust.

That is a profoundly illogical statement. Oxidation isn't inhibited by
mechanical activity.

Thank you Mr. Spock....

Though true in a strictly speaking sense, your statement doesn't really
hold water for this particular discussion.

Mechanical activity doesn't "inhibit" oxidization but the use of
woodworking tools does. It helps prevent and reduce the effects of
oxidization.

Just so we're clear. Oxidization --- in simple terms --- rust.

I'm no scientist but I know that if I use my tools regularly they don't
rust. My uneducated guess would be the oils from your hands, sap from
boards, and abrasion created by sliding wood/materials across the metal
surfaces combine to help polish and protect them from rust.

If you take two saws and use one once or twice a week for a month and
leave the second alone for the same time frame I'll bet you that the
unused saw will show signs of rust.

I think it's the sorrow of imagined abandonment that causes unused
tools to rust. They become scared that you've forgotten about them and
their tears of sorrow and heartache cause the rust.... ;-)