Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Cat 5e telephone cable?

On 13 Jun 2006 09:15:03 GMT someone who may be "John Carlyle-Clarke"
wrote this:-

What I want to do in this age of ADSL and DECT is simplify to a single
master socket by the PC with the phone base station & ADSL modem/router
plugged in.

Assuming you have an NTE5 master socket...

Do remember that only BT are supposed to touch the bottom half of
the master socket (and the external wiring that connects to it). As
a result it is likely to remain where it is at the moment.

From that point you can do what you like. Personally I would get a
filter from http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html
and put that on the master socket. From there I would wire the
filtered terminals to the telephone extension sockets and take an
unfiltered pair to a suitable socket for the ADSL router.

If I didn't have any cable I would probably get a reel of telephone
cable and use that for the extensions. If I was putting a telephone
socket beside the ADSL socket this needs two and a half pairs, say
three pairs. If my telephone cable was only two pair then I might
use Cat 5, simply for the extra pairs. Alternatively three pair
telephone cable should be fine. Avoid sharp bends and don't staple
the cable.

It all depends on what cable you have in and what is available to
you. As you have a lot of Cat 5 I would use that. Do stick to the
standard telephone colour scheme. I would use the brown pair for the
unfiltered ADSL signal, as it is not in the standard one line
telephone wiring scheme.

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm and
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/extensions.htm have further
information.